David is recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America, and is named a Southern California “Super Lawyer.” He received an AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
- New York
ABOUT DAVID SHEMANO
David has over 25 years’ experience as a business bankruptcy, restructuring, and commercial litigation lawyer. Before forming ShemanoLaw in March 2018, David practiced at the prominent national law firms of Winston & Strawn, Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe, and Robins Kaplan, and the highly regarded Los Angeles insolvency boutique of Peitzman Weg.
During his career, David has represented chapter 11 debtors, creditors’ committees, trustees, secured creditors and general unsecured creditors in all aspects of business bankruptcy and commercial litigation. He has in-depth experience handling bankruptcy and restructuring matters related to real estate, entertainment and manufacturing.
Among his recent matters are guiding DavidBarton Gym through its reorganization and emergence from chapter 11 protection, leading the section 363 sale of rights to The Terminator movie franchise in connection with Halcyon Holding Group’s chapter 11 matter, and representing one of the largest owners of El Pollo Loco franchises in Southern California in its chapter 11 restructuring.
David is very proud that his accomplishments have been recognized and honored by his peers. He was inducted as a Fellow of the prestigious, invitation only American College of Bankruptcy, and served as the president of the Financial Lawyers Conference. Mr. Shemano frequently lectures at events presented by the Practicing Law Institute, American Bankruptcy Institute, Beverly Hills Bar Association and other organizations.
- Hastings College of the Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif (1991)
- University of California, Santa Barbara, B.A., cum laude (1987)
- American College of Bankruptcy, Fellow (2014)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association, Member, Board of Governors (2009-2010); Chair, Bankruptcy Section Executive Committee (2007-2008)
- Financial Lawyers Conference, President (2012-2013); Member, Board of Governors (2003-2005, 2008-present)
- Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, Member, Board of Governors (2009-2013)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member, Bankruptcy Law Committee (2001-present)
- State Bar of California, Member, Insolvency Law Committee (2002-2005)